Whether you're looking to get ahead of any potential storm damage that may occur in your area or to maximize insurance payout after storm damage to your roof, you've come to the right place.
In this blog post, our experts at Bulldog Builders share insider information about how you can get the most out of your insurance should the unexpected happen.
Insurance Claim Tips from Industry Experts
Bulldog Builders has helped communities around Wisconsin with their roof replacement and repair needs along with their insurance claim concerns since 2013. Our team is made up of contractors who share the same passion and dedication as our founder, Wes Kitto, allowing us to provide clients with excellent services and insurance advice for any of your building needs or concerns.
Below, we will discuss what you need to know to ensure that you maximize your insurance payout after storm damage to your roof, including:
- What's covered in a homeowner's insurance policy
- What happens if the cost of damage exceeds insurance coverage
- When insurance covers roof replacements
- How Bulldog Builders can help with your roofing needs
What Property Damage does a Homeowner's Insurance Policy Cover?
There are plenty of insurance companies with plenty of different policies. Fortunately, most homeowner's insurance companies cover many kinds of property damage. Some of the biggest damages that homeowner's insurance policies typically cover include:
- Damage to Roof: The shingles and tiles are the most important parts of your roof, but a heavy storm can cause cracks and other damage. If your roofing system is damaged due to missing shingles or shifted tiles, this can lead to water leakage.
- Damage to Other Property: If your garage, shed, or trailer sustains damage as a result of storm damage, it should be covered under your homeowners' insurance policy.
- Damage to Windows: Damage to windows should also be covered. Windows are very rarely repaired unless they are new or less than 5 years old, so your insurance company should cover the cost of replacing them entirely, for safety's sake.
- Damage to Siding: It's critical to have a professional examine the siding to determine if it's repairable or not. While some companies refuse to take siding samples for proper testing, Bulldog Builders always does what it takes to protect people's homes. If you have a project that other companies aren't able to help with, let us take a shot at it.
Bulldog Builders is the go-to company when it comes to contractor jobs, providing services throughout southeastern Wisconsin. While we specialize in roof replacement and repair, we know what it takes to do a job properly. If you need repairs throughout your home, we can tap into our network of reliable contractors to assemble a team for the job and manage the repairs for you, sparing you the hassle of vetting contractors and overseeing their work.
What Happens if Storm Damage Exceeds the Insurance Policy's Coverage?
In the event that your home sustains damage that exceeds your insurance policy's coverage, your deductible will be absorbed, which means that the insurance company pays the policy limit. If this confuses you, that's because it's meant to; insurance policies are full of jargon that's meant to mislead and misdirect clients.
If you need help understanding your coverage, reach out to us at Bulldog Builders. Our founder, Wes Kitto, started off in 1995 as a claims adjuster for an insurance company. He has over 25 years of experience in property claims, where he has worked as a claims adjuster, a public adjuster, and an expert witness in trials concerning property claim litigations.
Wes has taught his team how to handle various kinds of claims and serves as a resource center for the team. This abundance of experience and guidance gives our team a unique perspective on insurance claims and how to make the most of them for our clients.
When Does Insurance Cover Roof Replacement?
In most cases, homeowners' insurance will cover the cost of roof repair or replacement, provided that the damage was sustained through a storm. However, it's best for a professional roofing contractor to inspect your roof to determine whether your roof needs replacement or if it can be repaired.
- Repair: High-speed winds caused by storms can loosen or break shingles, and even uproot a whole section of your roof. An experienced and qualified contractor can make repairs if the damage isn't too extensive.
- Replacement: If your roof has sustained significant damage, it's better to have the whole roof replaced. Fortunately, this should be covered by your homeowners' insurance if it's a result of an act of nature.
If the damage done to other parts of your home is so extensive that it can no longer be repaired (such as damaging discontinued siding systems and broken windows), then your insurance will need to pay for the replacement to restore the structural integrity of your home.
Trust Bulldog Builders With Your Needs
If your home has recently experienced severe storm damage, you'll need to act quickly to secure the health and safety of your family and property. We at Bulldog Builders can help in more ways than one; let us secure your home and assist with your insurance claim.